Today was our next to last day in Nanchang and another very good day for Sophie. She seems to be recognizing more and more that we are people she can trust. In my last entry, I talked about longing to see more of her personality...well, a lot more of it started coming out today. She woke up this morning smiling, and has smiled most all day. She has even been laughing some, although it can be hard to tell the sound of her laugh from a cry...you have to check the expression on her face!! We were also encouraged this morning by the fact that she was able to pull herself up from a sitting position to a standing position. She still can't go from lying down to sitting up by herself, but that will come. You'll see she's also begun playing with baby dolls...Hallie will be so happy!!
We stayed around the hotel for most of the day. There's just not a lot to do here that we haven't already done. We did go for a walk this afternoon to a department store to buy another suitcase. Nothing is wrong with the suitcases we brought...we just needed one for the extra stuff we're gonna be coming home with. Looks like there will be plenty of room for anything else we might buy in Guangzhou, but Beth's already talking about needing to buy another one there. Oh please no!!!
Blake and I got to spend some time together today swimming at the hotel. Apparently it's customary in China to wear a swimming cap when in the pool. I didn't know this and I'm afraid we upset some of the people working at the hotel's health club. They eventually brought us some swimming caps to wear...Blake's hat was solid black, but mine was pink with flowers. Thankfully we don't have any pictures!!
Tonight we ventured out with our guide to another park that was similar to the one we went to yesterday. More rides, more people exercising, more badminton games...parks are obviously a big deal here. I think we're going to another one tomorrow!! After the park, we went to dinner at Pizza Hut. I'm telling you, the Pizza Hut's here are way different from the U.S. Much nicer environment...it's a regular sit-down, full-service restaurant...and more extensive menu. Of course, we opted for a plain cheese pizza!! I really enjoyed trying out real Chinese food the other day, but Beth and Blake are much happier with something more familiar. After dinner, we went to a Chinese water show...I guess that what it's called. It was really cool. Lots of water and lights...I posted a picture to give you a better idea.
Beth hasn't been feeling well today. I think not being able to get her sleeping schedule adjusted is starting to take it's toll. I'm sure being this far away from family isn't helping much either. If you would, please pray for her. I really want her to be able to sleep and feel better and be at full strength for the remainder of the trip.
Thanks, as always, for checking in and reading. We're not able to actually see the blog in China...Blogger is one of several sites along with Facebook, Twitter, etc. that are blocked here...but we get the comments on our e-mail. We appreciate all the words of encouragement.
A few prayer requests and praises:
--For Beth...that she would be able to sleep and regain her strength.
--For Blake...thankful that his body has stayed strong...that he will continue to be free from any asthma/breathing issues.
--For Gabe and Hallie...thankful that everything is going well with them...continued strength and patience for those taking care of them while we're away.
--For Helen...she's our guide in Nanchang and a very sweet person that we've grown to love...she's not a believer...please pray that the Lord would save her.
--For continued safe travels in China and a safe return home to our family.
That's about it for tonight...
does anyone in your travel group have Melatonin...helped us get adjusted to the new time and sleep better. Guangzhou will be a welcome change...lots of shopping to do there ;) Beth, you are gonna need another bag ;)
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading your posts everyday! Gabe is in my daughter Samantha's class & we are so excited for you. Tell Beth I tagged her in some FB pics I took on Field Day- so when you can access you can see him ( and Hallie & Nancy) all having a great time. Your whole family is such a blessing & I can't wait to see you all when you return! I will continue to pray for each and everyone of you & all involved. Thank you so much for sharing! Give Beth a big hug for me! (Kristy Hartsook)
ReplyDeleteLOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures and can't believe what a beautiful little girl you have been blessed with! Thanks for blogging...it's great to know how things are going and exactly how to pray for you! Praying for REST especially for you, Beth! Love you all! -Angela
ReplyDelete