Saturday, May 14, 2011

Made it to Nanchang

Beth, Blake, and I left Nashville Friday morning at 7:47 a.m. and flew to Chicago to make our 1:07 p.m. departure to Beijing.  Our flight to Beijing was a little over 13 hours.  We landed around 3:15 p.m. on Saturday (that's 2:15 a.m. in Nashville).  We were worried that we wouldn't have seats together on our flight to Beijing...originally they had us split up in two different rows.  Thankfully, we were able to get that changed and sit together.  That's good...Beth needed my leg to squeeze during the bumps!!
 
After landing in Beijing, we had to rush through immigration, customs, baggage claim, etc. in order to board a bus to take us to the domestic terminal for our flight to Nanchang.  I was already worried about not having enough time, but this was made worse when Blake became sick.  I'm not sure if it was the bumpy ride on the descent, the heat, the long day, or what, but the poor guy threw up on the floor as we walked out the jetway.  He got sick again after passing through immigration.  He seems to be doing much better now and is already sound asleep.
 
After arriving in Nanchang, we were met by our adoption coordinator.  We were brought straight to the Galactic Peace Hotel.  Definitely the most dangerous part of traveling in China is driving on the roads.  I'm sure they have traffic laws here, but nobody seems to know what they are!!  If you wish to make a left turn, for example, just lay on your horn and turn and hopefully everyone will give way!!  Please pray for our safety on the roads here.  Oh yeah, they also don't use car seats for babies...hoping maybe we might be able to find one at a Wal-Mart tomorrow, but we're not holding our breath!
 
Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day.  We get Sophie sometime around 2:30 in the afternoon (that's 1:30 a.m. in Nashville)!!  Please pray for her during this transition.  I'm not sure what she's gonna think about being taken away from what she's known and placed in the arms of her forever parents.  Even though she's been in an orphanage this whole time, I'm sure we're gonna look and smell awfully funny!! 
 
Well, it's late at night here and after a long day of travel I can hardly see to type, so I'm gonna head to bed.  Check back tomorrow...I'm gonna hopefully have some good pics to post.  And if you happen to be awake at 1:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, please pray for us!!

4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you made it there safely. Hate it that Blake got sick. Praying that it was just nerves or exhaustion and not a bug. Praying that Sophie transition goes smoothly. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd left a message yesterday, but I don't see it, so I'll try again! :) Laura Zinn told me about you all. We are leaving Thursday to get our daughter in Nanchang as well! We'll be missing you guys by a day. We get to Nanchang on Sunday. I can't wait to follow your journey and hear all about your sweet Sophie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely! Hope that Blake is feeling better today. Jet lag is a beast and lots of people get sick those first days with nausea, vomiting, and headaches. Be sure to stay hydrated as that's usually the issue! Drink lots and lots of water!
    So excited that you meet Sophie soon! Praying for your family and her transition. Don't worry about a carseat...just hold on tight.
    courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright...I am waiting for a picture of Sophie. You have had her for about 12 hours now. Stop being selfish and share her to the rest of us...;) Well I saw your mom's facebook updates. So I am just wanting to see this sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete